[DCRM-L] Discontinuation of OCLC's institutional records program

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Mar 25 08:52:23 MDT 2015

One gathers that IRs--which were pretty much a concession to RLIN
emigrants--were never of much interest to OCLC, which was, after all, a
purveyor of master records, succeeding the LC card program, not a research
database. IRs never fit that model, and were and are presumably of little
interest to the vast majority of libraries that never catalog at anything
like our level of detail--that is, at our level of analysis of the identity
and distinction of manifestations--in "general" information. It simply
doesn't fit the OCLC business model as it developed in the 70s and 80s, to
which RLIN was the economically non-viable alternative.

I feel safe in saying that he LBD option is about as far as OCLC is willing
to go, beyond mere maintenance of IRs, and it conforms to the limits of
model of WorldCat Local as marketed to libraries with special collections
concerns--"We know you have all sorts of special local information, and as
long as it you tag it that way, it will actually appear in your own
WorldCat Local displays." From their point of view I'm sure that this is
sufficient.

IRs are a distraction as OCLC moves into position as an ILS vendor, in the
evolution from WorldCat Local, a catalog resource, to WorldCat Discovery
Services, an integrated search resource, with limited local customization
of records for one's own materials to replace the institutional opac.

http://www.oclc.org/worldcat-local.en.html

Of course, for us the loss involves the always basic difference between
"regular" and "rare book" cataloging: the one looks for similarities, the
other for differences. OCLC is willing to accommodate item-level
differences, but still has an overwhelming bias in favor of minimizing
differences at the manifestation level, even to the point of indifference
regarding manifestation so long as the right expression is presented. (It
can be hard to persuade an ILL staffer that one wants a particular *edition*,
let alone copy of a work--and ILL was, after all, what the Ohio College
Library Consortium was all about.)

I don't think the IR stakeholders have a lot of weight here, which is why
it could be presented as a *fait accompli*. If you listen very closely you
might hear a squeak or two in the underbrush (Hello!)--and that can include
a library's internal underbrush. Administrators like to hear such things as

"WorldCat Local is a webscale discovery solution that delivers
single-search-box access to more than 1.8 billion items from your library
and the world's library collections."

All that, and a huge reduction in maintenance costs, at the local level.
It's a Cloud service, and given the size of the thing they want to keep it
as simple as it can be and still be represented to customers as adequate
for their purposes.

Our one backstop is the fencing off, so far, of DCRM(X) records from the
dreaded 019. For the last several years I've been enhancing records to that
level, knowing that it was a last--and perhaps ultimately futile--effort to
preserve the kind of work I've been doing for the last 32 years. I think of
Harvard's remarkable wealth of scholarly cataloging that was lost to the
world in the recon for Hollis, which simply accepted OCLC records as they
stood, essentially erasing decades of skilled work. (I don't actually know
whether their "Bridge Catalog"--the deep freeze for the card catalog--is
still extant. It was *that*, by the way, that Nicholson Baker was deploring
in his 1991 article, beyond any sentimentality about the card sensorium.)

This may be unduly pessimistic (there are those who would read it
otherwise). It ought not to be beyond the ability of a brilliant IT company
to accommodate a wide range of customers, but the choice between LBD and
outright deletion of IRs is not encouraging.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>