[DCRM-L] Discontinuation of OCLC's institutional records program

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Wed Mar 25 12:32:00 MDT 2015

Linde,
One thing that I found really inspiring about Mann's work is that he had a conception of the reference librarian as detective. As he put it, the "surrogates," that is, the catalog, couldn't be expected to show you where everything was. Possibly the only way you could find some things was to go the shelves and leaf through books in an area that seemed appropriate for your topic. And as I said, ultimately it's the scholar himself, and those who help him like his graduate advisor, who is responsible for solving detailed issues about what is in the literature. Our job is just to help the scholars find things as best we can.

Richard,
If I understood what you said at the end of your last message, it sounds like you're suggesting that DCRM(x) could be a sort of "refuge" for detailed cataloging if OCLC allows DCRM(x) records to escape merging with poorer records. That might be a good idea, but I imagine you're not suggesting that we put local notes in 500 $5 for every rare book library, are you? Sorry to be so ignorant of how World Cat Local works. We haven't subscribed to it here.

Best, Ted