[DCRM-L] We need a schema for that (was: Discontinuation of OCLC's institutional records program)

Allison Jai O'Dell ajodell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:07:47 MDT 2015

I hesitate to send this out to the DCRM list, but since we're on the
subject...

The IR thread has surfaced a well-known problem: that rare materials users
need better access to detailed and copy-specific information -- and they
need it from an aggregated, Web-based portal, not through everybody's
individual catalogs.

I do not think that we, the DCRM community, need to rely on OCLC or
WorldCat to achieve this end.  At a 2014 Bib Standards meeting, I suggested
an alternate solution:

RBMS should develop a schema for the copy-specific and detailed information
that rare materials libraries aim to capture.  Descriptions in this new
format could be linked to BIBFRAME resources as an Annotation, and linked
to OCLC records for the appropriate edition.

Once we have structured data, we can develop the cross-institutional
datastores and access means that our users need.

Thoughts?  Volunteers?  The IR thread has re-invigorated my interest in
this idea, and I'd like to push forward.

Best,
Allison