[DCRM-L] item-specific notes: RDA 2.21 and 3.22

Mon May 11 13:28:46 MDT 2015

This has been an interesting and enlightening conversation. I have nothing substantive to add about the placement of these types of notes.

I do have comments on the wording of examples 5-7, specifically, with "signed" and "inscription."

"Signed: Alex. Pope," as it stands, might be interpreted that it was signed in print, because that is what the term "signed" as currently used in notes signifies. See DCRM(B) 7B6.1 examples: "Dedication signed: Increase Mather." "Signed at end: A lover of truth." Even if such a note were recorded in an item-specific element or sub-element, that still leaves plenty of room for confusion. Could the example be changed to "Signed in manuscript:" or "Autograph:"?  Likewise with "Original, signed by John Hancock." The context of the first example, "Library has copy number 38 of 50; signed by the artist, " renders it less open to misunderstanding or confusion. Still, "Signed in manuscript by the artist" would eliminate any uncertainty.

As for the 5th example (Inscription on inside of front cover: Theodorinis ab Engelsberg.): "inscribe" and "inscription" are problematic words. The RBMS relator term "inscriber" (http://rbms.info/vocabularies/relators/tr18.htm) is scoped: Use for the entity that signs a presentation statement. Anecdotally, I can say many catalogers also use the term when describing an instance of a former owner's autograph when there's more information than just the name, such as date and place of purchase or the like. Although I realize that RDA isn't circumscribed by DCRM or the customs of American catalogers, I encourage a different, expanded example be used when using "inscription."

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Mascaro,Michelle J
Sent: Friday, 08 May 2015 11:22
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] item-specific notes: RDA 2.21 and 3.22

​This has been an interesting discussion that has highlighted the difficulties of mapping the variety item notes we use as rare materials catalogers to RDA as currently structured and written. My thoughts on this issue…

I support the current proposal that these examples from 3.22 Note on Item-Specific Carrier Characteristics fit better (though imperfectly) at 2.21 Note on Item.  In addition to the arguments previously made in this thread, RDA 3.22 states “For notes on identifying item-specific characteristics other than those describing carriers, see 2.21,” which is distinctly different than the reciprocal statement in RDA 2.21, “For notes on describing item-specific carrier characteristics, see 3.22.”  In my interpretation, this means we actually have more wiggle room at 2.21 than at 3.22, and RDA is supporting a “when in doubt” use 2.21 approach for item notes.  I would like to recommend that this point is added to the background statement in the fast track proposal.

Kate brought up the valid concern about whether notes on item recorded under 2.21 have to directly map to the item attributes defined at 2.18-2.20.  As she pointed out, the sub-elements under the equivalent Note on Manifestation (2.17) imply that is the case.  I think this is a case where RDA’s intentions are unclear.  Recently, Francis posed the question to RDA-L about whether Note on Manifestation is an element that can contain data (such as dedication statements which do not fit into any of the 2.17 sub-elements) or just an umbrella concept for the specific sub-elements Note on Title, Note on Statement Responsibility, etc.  Gordon Dunsire, JSC chair, responded that Note on Manifestation is an element that can contain data.   (I will forward the message to DCRM-L shortly for those who have not seen it on RDA-L.) In principle, I feel the placement in 2.21 of example item notes that do not necessarily correspond to item attributes specifically defined in chapter 2, but are not carrier characteristics, is in line with Dunsire’s clarification on 2.17.

As I have reflected on this issue, I am coming to realize that much of our community’s struggle/confusion is due to the fact we are thinking of all these item characteristic statements solely as notes because that is how we have recorded them in the AACR2/MARC environment. In RDA, many of the types of item notes we define would benefit from being made official item elements.  History of item, as Kate suggested, is a prime example.

Ultimately, I would like to see the current fast track proposal on moving examples pushed forward to the JSC for discussion, and then as a next step, new proposals for additional item elements that serve the needs of the rare materials cataloging community.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Michelle Mascaro
Associate Professor of Bibliography
Coordinator, Cataloging Services and Special Collections Cataloger
University Libraries
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-1712
330-972-2446 (Electronic Services, Cataloging Unit)
330-972-6830 (Archival Services)
Email: mjm125 at uakron.edu<mailto:mjm125 at uakron.edu>