[DCRM-L] item-specific notes: RDA 2.21 and 3.22

Elizabeth O'Keefe eokeefe at themorgan.org
Thu May 14 06:30:29 MDT 2015

I think it's a very good idea to specify when "signed" means handwritten,
as opposed to printed.

As I thought about the examples, I wondered whether it would be necessary
to create two notes when evidence relevant to the manifestation appears
only in the item. Two examples:

a handwritten inscription on a printed book that provides evidence of
authorship (for example, a handwritten note on the flyleaf of a book with
no statement or responsibility, that says something like, "written by my
father-in-law, John L. Sullivan, but published anonymously"). Assuming this
statement was verifiable, it would justify assigning authorial
responsibility to John L. Sullivan. The justification for doing this would
be recorded as a Note on Statement of Responsibility (2.17.3), which would
include a citation to the item that was the source of the information.
Would you also enter this information as an item-specific note, or is the
manifestation-level note sufficient?

a signature on an undated or incorrectly dated autograph letter that
provides evidence on *when* the letter was written (in the case of someone
signing a letter with a married name, when she is known to have died in the
first year of her marriage; or with a hereditary title or title of office
that changes over time, and therefore provides a clue to the dating of the
letter). Would this note be a Note on Production Statement (2.17.6) and
also an item-specific note, or just the former?

I tried to make these examples as simple as possible, but reading them
over, I realize that the second example could also be considered a Note on
Statement of Responsibility (signatures are not treated as statements of
responsibility, but notes on resources without statements of responsibility
are covered under this instruction), while the first example, with very
little tweaking, could also justify a Note on Custodial History (2.18).
This doesn't mean that it's not a good idea to make notes more element
specific, but as several contributors have noted, it's sometimes tough to
separate the information out neatly. Maybe a one to many relationship
between notes that refer to several elements would be the answer.

Liz O'Keefe

--
Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 2127685680
NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library's comprehensive collections catalog:
http://corsair.themorgan.org