[DCRM-L] item-specific notes: RDA 2.21 and 3.22

Elizabeth O'Keefe eokeefe at themorgan.org
Thu May 14 13:51:31 MDT 2015

Okay, that makes sense. Though it is depressing when read in conjunction
with recent posts about item-specific data disappearing from OCLC.  OCLC
users will continue to have untrammeled access to the entire description of
a unique resource, such as an autograph letter from one non-entity to
another declining an invitation to dinner, so they can read notes like:

Docketed.
Ink blot at top of page 1.
Traces of the writer's breakfast in the margins

But if a library owns a copy of Holinshed's Chronicles with copious
annotations in Shakespeare's hand, there will be no way to know that from
the OCLC record, because that's item-specific information.  Depressing.

Liz O'Keefe

NET: eokeefe at themorgan.org