[DCRM-L] OCLC's IR webinar (May 13)

Moody, Honor M. hmoody at radcliffe.harvard.edu
Thu May 14 15:13:28 MDT 2015

Hello all,

Here is one more Harvard response.

I can't speak to what decision Harvard will ultimately make concerning implementation of LBDs, but I did wish to respond to Allison's 2nd point. Someone asked why a library would want/need LBDs if they were the only ones to see the LBDs, and I understood the response to be that we probably don't need them if we have our own catalogs, and that the best use case scenario for LBD is the WMS only member. I think the idea the LBDs are somehow a replacement for IRs is a red herring, and it's unfortunate that OCLC seems to be conflating them (either that or it demonstrates a fundamentally different understanding of the purpose of the IR).

Furthermore, the Harvard Library has 30 OCLC symbols in use; I asked in the 11am webinar if individual libraries would be able to view the others' LBD. The response was that we would only be able to view the symbol associated with the login.  Speaking personally, I can't imagine that the LBD would ever be more useful than Harvard's shared local catalog (or even the notes on our old catalog cards, for that matter).

I also found the statement that no end of life date has been determined for Connexion quite ominous.  More generally speaking, I found the responses were often very vague and didn't necessarily answer the question being asked in a meaningful way.

Best,
Honor

Honor Moody
Cataloger