[DCRM-L] OCLC

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Fri May 15 06:29:32 MDT 2015

Ms. Dooley,

Thank you for the link to your article and its relevant passage. And thank
you for kind words as to the importance of our work. They are much
appreciated.

For the record I was being literal, not ironic, when I stated that I was
unsure as to what extent the archival community had embraced MPLP. I have
no idea, or I hadn’t until you pointed to your research. Bully for the
archival community.

I am, however, not convinced that the rare book cataloging community should
follow suit. By and large we are not working with unique items, and unlike
archives we have a rich, long tradition of bibliographic scholarship, with
which to inform our cataloging, resources that are increasingly a few
clicks away.  It seems to me that a collective database, rich in content,
judiciously outlining what makes our collections so special with cataloging
that could be shared would be a very feasible way to make our work
economically sustainable. Apparently, OCLC is not interested in being that
venue. Fine, I get. It is a business concern, and we are a niche market.
But given all the we contribute, it stings.

Best,

Will

Will Evans

Chief Rare Materials Catalog Librarian