[DCRM-L] Keeping searchability on old citation forms (was: New citation for "Mortimer, R. French 16th cent." and Mortimer, R. Italian 16th cent.")

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Thu May 28 09:43:06 MDT 2015

As some of you might now, a small group of us are working on a JSC proposal
to accommodate references to citations in RDA. There will be a draft
proposal available for community discussion sometime this summer.

In the meantime, that work gave rise to a related idea for a MARC proposal
in addition to the JSC proposal, which I wanted to put forth for
consideration of the DCRM community.

MARC Bibliographic 510, new subfield $2 Source of citation form
New name and title authority source code "scf" for Standard Citation Forms

This seems to me to be a possible method of enabling searchability on
former and variant forms, as well as controlling, updating, etc., outside
of local implementations like the ones Bob describes, especially if/when
SCF is published as linked data. Potentially, $2 naf or other title
authorities could also be used here, for titles not found in SCF. This
seems somewhat analogous to 383 $2 mlati, for Music Thematic Index codes.

Does this seem worthwhile?

Matthew

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger