[DCRM-L] SAA proposal - Print materials in manuscript collections

Lauren Reno lauren.reno at duke.edu
Wed Nov 4 12:00:27 MST 2015

Hi All,

A colleague and I are thinking about submitting a session proposal for the 2016 SAA conference on handling print materials in archival collections.  We are looking for others who may be interested in joining us.  We would likely discuss our experience at the Rubenstein with the Southern Poverty Law Center Intelligence Project, where we received about 100 boxes of mixed materials collected by SPLC to document the activities of suspected extremists and hate groups throughout the United States. We used this project as a case study to develop new workflows allowing for rare serials cataloging, but also linking those serials to the different groups' archival ephemera that remained in the SPLC archival collection.

We are interested in hearing about others' methods and workflows . Did you pull out the books? Leave the serials? Individually catalog some things? Leave everything where it was? List it in the finding aid? Every collection is different, but it would be great to talk about the processes people have used to make these sorts of decisions.

Please email me off-list if interested.

Lauren Reno
Head, Rare Materials Cataloging Section
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library | Duke University
lauren.reno at duke.edu<mailto:lauren.reno at duke.edu>
919-660-5832