[DCRM-L] Unidentified signature symbol

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Fri Oct 2 11:31:31 MDT 2015

I'm cataloging a book from 1634 with a preliminary leaf signed with a symbol I can't identify from the DCRB(b) manual. The original cataloger transcribed it as [par.], but I don't think it's the same as that symbol. It looks like a capital C with a vertical line through it. I suppose it would look close to a [par.] symbol if there were *two* vertical lines and they extended below the rounded part. Do you know what to call this symbol? Is it ever justified to just transcribe something as [unidentified symbol]?
Thanks,
Ted P. Gemberling
Historical Collections Cataloger
UAB Lister Hill Library, rm. 234B