[DCRM-L] cataloging targets for rare books

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 09:36:24 MDT 2015

It depends on:

- your local policies (full authority work? trace printers, etc.? tracings
for provenance or just notes? provide signature statements? provide genre
headings? are any 510 notes required? options for minimal-level or
collection-level cataloging?)
- what level of skills the catalogers have (experienced or beginners?
knowledge of the relevant languages and subject areas represented by the
collections?)
- what the collections awaiting cataloging are like (time period,
languages, condition)
- how extensive and accessible your reference collection is (for when the
catalogers need to do research)
- what other duties the catalogers have (committee work, reference shifts,
etc.)

I'm sure others can chime in.

Manon

--