[DCRM-L] cataloging targets for rare books

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Wed Oct 7 14:56:42 MDT 2015

FWIW, I would add to Manon's excellent list:

Are you talking original cataloging only? Complex shared cataloging? Copy
cataloging?  A mix?

Is the cataloger using unfamiliar rules or cataloging what is for the
cataloger an unusual format, e.g. a manuscript, artist's book, or map for
someone who does almost entirely books?

Does the cataloging involve unusual scripts or unusual inputting?  A
Hebrew cataloger doing Hebrew books should be working almost as quickly as
a Romance language cataloger cataloging French.  A Hebrew cataloger doing
Judeo-French would probably need to proceed more slowly.

In a related question, how familiar is the cataloger with early modern
forms and orthographies of the language used in 16th century and 17th
century works?

I would assume that RDA cataloging by someone who has been working with
RDA for more than 6 months would be more rapid than cataloging using one
of the DCRM modules, at least partly because there will be more templates
and macros that the person doing modern materials can use and because
earlier books _may_ be bibliographically complicated.

In addition, are you expecting NACO and/or BIBCO records?  These can take
a bit more time on occasion.

All of which is to say, your mileage may vary with work being cataloged,
size of the collection into which it is being cataloged, and the
experience and knowledge of the cataloger in relation to the work being
cataloged.

Best of luck,
Larry
--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, Archives and Special Collections Dept.
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu