[DCRM-L] Fore-edge decoration description

David Stumpp david.stumpp at chch.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 19 05:02:07 MDT 2015

I agree. I think that pochoir and stippling both imply more purposeful attention than what evident here and even a specific pattern. I also agree with John that a brush has been used, although I’ll admit that I would still have erred in the direction of ‘sprinkled’, and heavily so. Imagine taking that brush, laden with paint, and waving it in a small arc at the target. You would end up with a similar stripe, more dense at the center and with sprinkling more evident at the edges.

Dave

David Stumpp
Antiquarian Cataloguer
The Library