[DCRM-L] Fore-edge decoration description

Mon Oct 19 12:44:34 MDT 2015

What's wrong with sticking to what you know for sure: "Decorated with red and green stripes." Add a URL to the image to your record, and you've covered your bases.

Something that the BSC can do when it's finished all its other projects. (-;): turn its attention to protocols or best practices for linking copy-specific images to bibliographical and/or holdings records.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Alex Kyrios
Sent: Monday, 19 October 2015 09:36
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Fore-edge decoration description

I had to do a bit of research here, but the modern Italian flag only seems to date back to 1797. Portugal’s green and red flag is an even later creation (1911). We can’t definitively date the colors based on a Flickr photo, but they look older than that to me. The Welsh flag dates to Henry VII, which would be contemporaneous with the book’s publication, but that seems a bit of a stretch. Of course, we may be looking too closely at this; maybe they just looked pretty or were the colors at hand!

Alex Kyrios
Cataloger
Folger Shakespeare Library
(202) 608-1713