[DCRM-L] Using manuscript waste (term vs. practice)

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 18 16:28:51 MDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a French book (1785) that has a damaged half-title leaf. As a repair, this leaf has been mounted on what appears to be a 19th C. letter (the verso of the letter is blank and it has been adhered, text-side down, making it difficult to read).

I'd like to trace this situation in my catalog record. Is this an appropriate time to use "manuscript waste" in the RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Binding Terms thesaurus? I've never used the term and I usually think of manuscript waste as part of the binding, rather than the repair of a page, but just wanted to get an opinion before adding it.

Thanks!

Nina

Nina M. Schneider
Rare Books Librarian
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
2520 Cimarron Street
Los Angeles, CA  90018
(323) 731-8529

nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
http://www.clarklibrary.ucla.edu/

** Please note that the Clark Library will be CLOSED for our seismic retrofit beginning in April 2015 **