[DCRM-L] 0G7.1 "Misprints" and "Unintentional inaccuracies": a book example of the latter

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Mon Apr 11 15:10:57 MDT 2016

Just found a real-life example of something we were trying (and failing) to imagine when working on DCRM(Graphics): a printed book where the transcribed title is incorrect, but not because of a typo or a deliberate deception.

Transcribed title: Letter of John Dryden to William Waler, from the original at Canon's Ashby

The printed book is a 19th-century transcription of a 17th-century letter, but someone involved in the publication misread the handwriting on the letter and thought it was addressed to "William Waler" -- in fact, the letter is addressed to "William Walsh."

In DCRM(G) we deliberately changed the heading for 0G7.1 from "Misprints" to "Unintentional inaccuracies" because the instructions cover drawings, paintings, and other pictures where text would be handwritten rather than printed. One of our examples was a negative with the title "Royal Palace, Warsaw" handwritten on the glass plate, but actually picturing the Kremlin Palace, Moscow. At the time, no one could think of a situation where someone would accidentally give an inaccurate title to a book.

So, just in case anyone ever needs an example, here's one. See attached for a snapshot of the title page text.

Erin.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0323>  |  fax +1 202-675-0328<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0328>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>