[DCRM-L] Two publications bound together

dawn.grattino dawn.grattino at cpl.org
Mon Aug 29 09:54:44 MDT 2016

Please excuse me if this question has an obvious answer. I am still a novice and have been unable to find the instructions I need.

I have two unrelated publications about the knight in chess that were published separately approximately 70 years apart and are bound together. The record in OCLC for this item is incorrect. In fact there are 3 records for it, 2 of them derived from the incorrect record created by my institution in 1981 (#7114873). I am now tasked with correcting this record.

The first title Corsa del cavallo per tutt' i scacchi dello scacchiere is only 11 pages. The second title, Del cavallo degli scacchi is represented individually by #7114866. It is 69 plus pages.

I really don't want to base the record in the 11 page item and say Bound with: the longer item.

I can use the title on the spine of the book for the 245 and put the titles for both books in the 505, and use 7xx fields to represent them.

The first book does not list an author, but I found a reference to it that indicates that the publisher might be the author. I think I will ignore this speculation and make that one title main entry.

My question is how do I handle the publication information for each item? I have nice title pages for each that give me publication info and dates.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dawn Grattino
Senior Catalog Librarian