[DCRM-L] Software for organizing/cataloging artifacts

Nasea, Melissa NASEAM at ecu.edu
Fri Dec 9 09:27:41 MST 2016

Apologies for cross-posting.

Hi,

My library has some artifacts that we would like to catalog. We're exploring software packages that are designed for artifacts. We are associated with the Country Doctor Museum http://www.countrydoctormuseum.org/ which uses Past Perfect http://www.museumsoftware.com/ . We have recently learned that a museum near us is planning to move from Access to Proficio https://rediscoverysoftware.com/ .

My library's artifacts are mainly medical instruments and mainly post World War II, however, we are interested in your cataloging experience with any type of artifact. In the future we might be cataloging anthropological, geological, biological, etc. items.

Have you or any one you know used either software package or another package to catalog artifacts? If so, please respond to me or to the list in general with the package name, benefits, and problems. I will send a summary to the list. In some cases, we may ask to contact you for more detailed information.

Thank you for your help.

Melissa

Melissa M. Nasea, MSLS, MBA, AHIP
History Collections Librarian