[DCRM-L] Term for pierced vellum binding?

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Mon Dec 5 13:39:06 MST 2016

The term "Tracery" in the Binding Thesaurus seems to be the closest thing
to what you're looking for: https://rbms.info/vocabularies/binding/th176.htm

The term has no scope note but does have the following comment:

CM: Cutout leatherwork, or tracery, was never a common
. technique in European bookbinding, but examples are known
. from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries ... Several of
. the earliest European gold-tooled bookbindings, from both
. Venice and Naples, have leather tracery decoration, which
. was brought out, as in the Islamic archetypes, by being
. laid over a bright azure ground." -- Needham.

https://rbms.info/vocabularies/binding/tr176.htm

The Ligatus Language of Binding Thesaurus has the term: "pierced covers,"
with scope note:

Covers in which a design has been created by removing pieces of the
> covering material to leave behind the required shapes or patterns. Pierced
> covers will invariably be used over a lining or underlay of another
> material such as a coloured woven silk textile.

http://www.ligatus.org.uk/lob/concept/2984

Also, earlier this year, MARC approved a source code ($2 lobt) for the
Language of Binding Thesaurus, which you could use locally, but it won't
validate in OCLC yet due to a typo that they have said will be resolved in
an upcoming implementation.

Neither Tracery nor Pierced covers specify the type of materials used,
though, so you'd have to record another term such as Vellum bindings $2
rbbin separately for that.

I wonder if "Pierced bindings" should be added as a see reference to
Tracery.

Matt

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Ann K.D. Myers <akdmyers at stanford.edu>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> I recently received a reference question from a patron who is interested
> in seeing "pierced vellum bindings". This is not a term found in our
> catalog, and a search of OCLC only yielded 2 results. These are examples of
> the type of binding they are interested in:
>

> http://www.reid-cunningham.com/piercedvellumbin.html
>

> I have been poking around in the RBMS Binding Thesaurus without success,
> looking for an alternate term to use to describe this style of decoration.
> Does anyone else have any ideas of how we might track these down?
>

> Thanks,
>

> --Ann
>

> Ann K.D. Myers
>
> Rare Books Cataloger
>
> Stanford University Libraries
>
> Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives
>
> 500 Broadway
>
> Redwood City, CA 94063
>
> 650-723-0123
>
> akdmyers at stanford.edu