[DCRM-L] Genre for a manuscript

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:06:38 MST 2016

If you're asking about terms for 655 in bibliographic records, certainly you can use LCSH terms. 655 with second indicator "0" means the term comes from LCSH:

655 _0 Manuscripts.

Or

655 _0 Manuscripts, English.

Or whatever's appropriate that you find in LCSH.

Terms in 655 can be taken from any of the approved general thesauri (http://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/subject.html) or the thesauri specific to genre/form (http://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/genre-form.html). Because there are so many thesauri to choose from, MARC has us identify by coding which thesaurus the term comes from, either using the second indicator or a code in $2.

LCSH terms can also be used in 380 fields (form of work, typically used in authority records). When I create an authority record for a manuscript I routinely include

380  Manuscripts $2 lcsh

(in this case the source of the term can't be identified by the indicator and so the code for LCSH is given in $2)

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University