[DCRM-L] subfields $3 and $5 to specify copies in MARC bib records

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 14 11:04:55 MST 2016

Though "materials specified" ($3) is appealing, I agree with Francis that
it seems more appropriately applied to a volume, part, or other subunit of
a manifestation than to a copy of the manifestation. In the case of 563 for
bindings, though, it seems to me that the scope is not well-written. Even
without trying to use $3 for copy designations, it ought to be able to
contain volume numbers for separate binding descriptions when the volumes
in a set are not bound uniformly, and not only a portion of the
binding. For example:

563 $3 v.1 $a Publisher's blue cloth.
563 $3 v.2 $a Publisher's green cloth.

And these descriptions of parts, volumes, etc. may or may not be
copy-specific:

563 $3 v.1 $a Library copy rebound in library cloth. $5 DLC

So I also agree that some other means for specifying the copy (institution,
collection/location, call number, and/or identifier) would also be useful
alongside $3. That said, I have more often seen all of the above contained
right in $a with the rest of the note, and am not sure how it would be more
actionable it would be in $3 and/or another field unless it also record the
holding, part, copy, etc. using a parseable syntax and/or identifier for
rather than simply human readable strings.

Perhaps this could be accomplished by creating a syntax *within* $5.
Mimicking control subfields $6 and $8, this could be something like:

$5 [MARC institution code]/[sublocation code]:[call number]-[copy number]

Perhaps it would also help to make greater use of $8 to link such related
notes and access points together within descriptions.

Matt

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger
102 Butler Library