[DCRM-L] subfields $3 and $5 to specify copies in MARC bib records

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Thu Jan 14 12:19:12 MST 2016

I like Matt’s suggestion:

Perhaps this could be accomplished by creating a syntax within $5. Mimicking control subfields $6 and $8, this could be something like:

$5 [MARC institution code]/[sublocation code]:[call number]-[copy number]

It’s rather peculiar that subfield $5 is defined to identify an institution, when what we really want to do is identify a copy.

Francis