[DCRM-L] double plates vs. folded plate

Eric Holzenberg ejh at grolierclub.org
Thu Jun 9 11:55:48 MDT 2016

I agree with Richard absolutely on this. Deborah’s argument is an impressive bit of reasoning, but other issues aside, it does not take the commonsense expectations of readers, or the observed realities of traditional book making, into account. I would expect anything described as “[2] leaves of plates” to consist of two separate images produced from two distinct plates. I would expect anything described as “[1] folded leaf of plates” to cover EITHER a folded leaf attached to a stub at one end, or one folded in the middle, and attached to a stub at the gutter. If it was printed from a single plate onto a single leaf, with the intent of presenting a single image, surely it REMAINS a single leaf, even when folded.

Eric  Holzenberg
Director
The Grolier  Club
47 East 60th  Street