[DCRM-L] Double leaves

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 30 16:57:36 MDT 2015

To follow up on Deborah's email: the DCRM task force encountered some
confusion about the definition and treatment of double plates in DCRM and
RDA, so we appreciate the feedback that might improve those definitions and
instructions.

I understand a double leaf to be sewn or tipped in with the fold at one of
the outer edges of the volume, functioning as one leaf because it cannot be
unfolded, with blank versos facing inside the fold that are not meant to be
seen. An entire volume may consist of double leaves, as in the case of
books in traditional East Asian format, or isolated double-leaf plates
bound in with a letterpress volume.

This seems to stand in contrast to:

-two leaves joined by a fold on an outer edge, but which are meant to be
opened by the binder or reader and to function as two leaves.

-two conjugate leaves sewn or tipped in with the fold at the inner margin,
which function as two leaves, much like any other conjugate pair of leaves
in the volume.

-a folded leaf, which may have one or more folds and which may open out to
other dimensions relative to the volume besides "double", but functions as
one leaf.

If a double leaf has been opened by a subsequent binder or owner, And this
is not apparent I imagine it would just be counted as two leaves without a
note, or if it is apparent it could be handled in a local note.

Matt

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger
102 Butler Library