[DCRM-L] Publishers Personal Name/Corporate Body

Ted P Gemberling tgemberl at uab.edu
Fri May 27 10:16:05 MDT 2016

Deborah,
I thought the Bibliographic Standards Committee principles you sent us (“Guidelines for Establishing Certain Names Associated with Printers”) made a lot of sense. If you follow them, you will be reflecting the historical reality of printers/publishers quite well, I think.

As to the principles Richard talked about below, I believe the first one, which favors a corporate name if a printer wasn’t completely consistent during a defined period, seems generally sound. The one kind of exception I can think of is where a corporate name represents a partnership (usually with several surnames and/or given names included), and there seem to be instances where not all members of the partnership worked on all books. I wonder if in that sort of case, it would make more sense to use the personal name(s). I wouldn’t think that if you had a partnership with individuals A, B, and C, and one book was only printed by A and B, you’d want to set up another corporate name for just those two partners. Now, if you saw a pattern of them working together and apart from him on quite a few books, maybe it would make sense.

I’ve worked pretty hard over the years to reflect publishers correctly, but I doubt I’ve been 100% consistent on the personal/corporate distinction. I’m sure there were times when I used a corporate name rather than a personal one because it seemed more convenient. I probably haven’t been as careful with 19th century as I was with earlier books.

The only thing I would say is that it would be a serious error to make all printers/publishers corporate bodies, especially before the 19th century. But then, it could be some libraries have a policy of not spending a lot of time setting up printer names. Maybe they feel it’s adequate if the user has keyword access, and if the corporate name contains the surname of the central individual, that’s good enough. However, I’d rather they’d follow that principle in their local catalog rather than OCLC master records.

I’ll get to looking at your examples more next week.

Ted Gemberling