[DCRM-L] 541, 561, 562, 563 identical in MARC 21 bib and holdings formats

Margaret F. Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 11 15:16:22 MDT 2016

Hi, Honor et al.,

I don't know the historical circumstances behind the way these fields were defined, but we use the 541 in both places, and I can see why some of the other fields you mention might be used that way, too.

541 (immediate source of acquisition note): Sometimes the donor wants public recognition for having given the material to the library; but at other times, the donor specifically does *not* want his/her name made public, for instance if a man gave us his gay pornography collection but lives in a very conservative community and is closeted.
For archival collections, we record donor information and accessioning and processing information in 541 and 583 fields, both coded as private, on the holdings record. Each new addition to a collection gets its own pair of fields, 541 and 583.

561 (ownership and custodial history): We use this only as a public note, but it's possible that an item or an archival collection could have a custodial history best kept private because it's controversial or sensitive (gay porn, Communist Party flyers, etc.).

562 (copy and version identification note): This information is sometimes copy-specific, other times not.

563 (binding information): This information is copy-specific for most pre-1830s books, and for bound manuscripts, but not for most post-1830s books.

Cheers,

Margaret

Margaret F. Nichols
Rare Materials Cataloging Coordinator
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
2B Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-5302
Tel. (607) 255-9667