[DCRM-L] Adding local copy information to an OCLC master record

Elaine Hooker elaine.hooker at wheaton.edu
Thu Oct 27 12:30:20 MDT 2016

According to OCLC's bib formats and standards, copy specific information can be added to the master record for rare and special collections materials.

https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/specialcataloging.html#CHDICBGF

I tend to add such information to OCLC using a subfield 5 only when the information is of broad research value rather than local interest only. For example, a book that we own with annotations by a former owner that researchers would want to come to our specific institution to study.

Elaine Powell Hooker
Catalog Librarian
Marion E. Wade Center
Wheaton College