[DCRM-L] Adding local copy information to an OCLC master record

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Oct 27 13:12:45 MDT 2016

Ah. Well found, that passage, though this is a case where permissiveness
really needs to be tempered by the included cautionary note: "Consider the
usefulness of the information in accessing and identifying the item versus
the likelihood that the record will be used in copy-cataloging or found by
others who will *not* need your copy- or institution-specific notes and
added entries."

One mental test might be, "Would it be worth separately cataloging those
annotations as a manuscript?" Just as one might do with, say, a copy of a
Robert Frost edition with an author inscription including the whole text of
a poem (something he did a lot). If the answer is yes, do that; if not,
depend on the local record alone as the means of access.

All the more reason to mourn the demise of IRs, by which such potentially
useful information could be found in a single search.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>