[DCRM-L] Trying to identify.

Bryan, Anna abry at loc.gov
Wed Jan 4 10:17:50 MST 2017

I am cataloging Thomas Jefferson's collection here at the Library of Congress. We have an edition of Examen de la liberte originaire de Venise (forgive the lack of diacritics throughout this e-mail) and the way it has been identified in the past (See E.M. Sowerby, Catalogue of the library of Thomas Jefferson, 2412, LCCN ca 10004663) does not appear to be correct.

I have exhausted checking various editions here at the Library and those digitized editions I can locate. There are 2 possibilities: one, that it is a separate publication as cited above, or two, that it is part of Histoire du gouvernement de Venise (Abraham Nicolas Amelot de La Houssaye).

Of the Examen separately published editions, I have eliminated the following:
Ratisbonne :  Jean Aubri, 1677
Paris : Leonard, 1677
Ratisbonne : Jean Aubri, MDCLXXVIII [1678]
Ratisbonne : Jean Aubri, MDCLXXXIV [1684]
Amsterdam : Mortier, MDCXCV [1695]
Amsterdam : Mortier, 17uu

Of the Histoire du gouvernement de Venise, I can eliminate (sorry, years only here):
1676 (this I have down as "Probably not")
1677
1685
1695
1705
1714
1740
1768

The volume is a 12mo, measuring 16 cm.  I am attaching a scan of page 1, which has a frame around the opening initial that I have not been able to match. The volume has 1-239 numbered pages, with no preliminaries. The collation is A-K in 12s. The contents are: Examen de la liberte originaire de Venise, p. 1-159; Remarques historiques sur le traite de la liberte de Venise, p. 160-193; Harangue de Louis Helian, ambassadeur de France, prononcee en presence de l'empereur Maximilen, des electeurs, des princes, des prelats, & des deputes des villes de l'Empire, l'an 1510, p. 195-239.

I would appreciate it if catalogers would be so kind as to check their catalogs, see if they have other editions, and let me know if they can tell me what edition Mr. Jefferson's copy came from; off list might be best.

Many thanks in advance,
Anna

Anna Bryan <abry at loc.gov>
Senior Cataloger