[DCRM-L] illustration technique / reproduction technique

Matthew Ducmanas matthew.ducmanas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:47:13 MST 2017

Hi all,

I recently posed a question regarding illustrations to some former Rare
Book School colleagues as well as the always helpful Deborah J. Leslie. She
suggested I might ask it here as well.

The question pertains largely to those of you who regularly trace
illustration types in your records. Is there a common practice when tracing
reproductions of illustrations that differ in technique?

For example, if you have an item containing wood engravings that have been
either stereotyped or reproduced in some photoengraved fashion, do you
still use a 655 for wood engravings? Or do you leave the tracing off, or
use something like 655 Line blocks?

I can see utility in tracing an illustration made from a stereotyped wood
engraving block as "Wood engravings" since the stereotype would make such a
close reproduction (not to even mention the difficulty of telling it apart
from one printed from the original block).

Though I imagine there has to be limits to this approach otherwise we'd end
up in the strange situation of, for example, tracing a relief halftone or
offset lithograph reproduction as the original illustrative technique. I've
seen books with relief halftone reproductions of etchings. Seems wrong to
trace that as an etching.

Just curious if any of you have mulled over this at all or know of a common
practice.

Thanks,
Matt

--
*Matthew Ducmanas*
*Special Collections Cataloging Librarian*