[DCRM-L] MARC coding (leader) for single-item manuscripts

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 2 17:42:28 MDT 2017

We code the records type=t and BLvl = m as others have described for our
individually-cataloged manuscripts, including unpublished typescript
theses/dissertations. But due to similar concerns about identification and
display of individual manuscript records in both our OPAC and staff-side
interfaces, we had been adding 245 $h [manuscript] locally. If I recall,
this was optional in AACR2 but not allowed in the LCRI. But out of fear of
losing these when OCLC announced it was going to deprecate GMDs from
records in favor of 33x fields (and there is no separate content, media, or
carrier type for manuscript), a local cheat was devised to bump them into
245 $b [manuscript] preceding any other title information so they would be
preserved and still display in the expected place.

Columbia's OPAC has changed since then, and it facets materials type=t and
BLvl = m as both Books and "Archives/Manuscripts."

Also, DCRM(MSS) is now available for use, which provides instructions for
including material type in the title area (245 $k). I think our $h
manuscripts were moved by global update to $b years ago, so probably that
can be done again, as long as display etc. works out similarly in $k.

I also have been recording production method (RDA 3.9) manuscript,
typescript, etc. in 340 $d in our MSS records too, though I don't think it
gets used in our display or indexing at all.

Matt

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger
102 Butler Library