[DCRM-L] Treatment of advertisements

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Fri Jun 30 18:27:39 MDT 2017

I suspect the "also" applies to the qualification "in publishers' covers".

I'm strongly inclined to treat separable advertisements as manifestations of separate works, using a 501 note, and catalogue them separately - especially when (as is not infrequently the case) they have a different printer's imprint, or a date (often month as well as year) that varies, from that of the main manifestation in the volume.  Few of these will have survived independently, but sometimes the same printing of ads will turn up in copies of manifestations of different works, or different manifestations of the same work.

Just another area where OCLC's master record approach creates real issues for those interested in printing/publishing matters.

John Lancaster