[DCRM-L] Treatment of advertisements

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:07:13 MDT 2017

The example cited *is* a "machine-press" book (Lee & Shepard was
established in 1862), noted in response because "also applies to
machine-press books" would seem to imply that this is not such a book.

Anyway, advertisements will almost always (a little whimper of an "almost",
that) be found, often in multiple forms, in multiples of copies; and it is
especially in machine-press books that non-integral advertisements may be
regarded as evidence of conditions of issue that ought not to be overlooked
in manifestation-level description.

I'm in favor of the quasi-copy-level--call it "sub-manifestation"?--note
(500 with $5) that accounts for such evidence, since 590s are now invisible
outside institutional databases, a survey of which is seldom practicable or
economically defensible in the course of cataloging that might otherwise
benefit from the information--that is, make for a better informed account
of the copy-in-hand, advertisements and all.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>