[DCRM-L] xii, 17- pages

Gemberling, Ted P tgemberl at uab.edu
Sun Mar 12 17:42:50 MDT 2017

I think I have some idea based on my course at Rare Book School. The book I'm working on now, A manual of practical surgery by Lewis A. Stimson from 1900, has "signatures" marking the various "gatherings" in the book. Since this is an ordinary size book, it's an octavo, meaning there are 8 leaves and 16 pages in each gathering. Gathering 2 starts on page 17 because gathering 1 would end at xvi (16) if it were the full number of pages. But often the preliminary part of a book turned out not to be that long, so there was a gap between the end of it and page 17. Perhaps I could be mistaken to think the ending page was xii so often. But I do think I've seen xii or xiii a lot more often than xiv, xv, or xvi.

Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library