[DCRM-L] Advice requested for Rare Book Cataloging preparation

Marilyn McClaskey m-mccl at umn.edu
Tue May 9 10:10:40 MDT 2017

Deborah,

To come from a place of No Experience and attempt such practice in
isolation seems daunting. Taking a cataloging class would provide feedback
at least. I realize there is a cost to this unless the person is employed
at an institution with a library school and a tuition benefit. Online
courses or webinars?  Volunteering at someplace that would provide the
basic training in return for a certain productivity?  (The suggestion for
getting a working cataloger to do a customized course is good.)

Feedback from and discussion with colleagues has been the greatest enricher
of my cataloging perspectives and expertise, even when I have been on the
trainer end of the equation.  Of course, there is nothing better than
teaching something as a way to learning it.

Marilyn McClaskey
Rare Books Cataloger
University of Minnesota Libraries