[DCRM-L] is there such a thing as a 13cm folio?

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Mon May 15 14:31:44 MDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm upgrading a record (ESTC T153806) with the book in front of me and have to admit I'm stumped--perhaps those who have seen this before can help.

This 13 cm book is an Scottish almanac from 1747. The first part is 24 leaves which clearly show sewing through each fold, as if the signatures were A^2  B^2 C^2 etc., but the chainlines are horizontal. The second part seems to be [x]^4 [x]^2.

 It might be signed, but our copy is so closely trimmed that any evidence is lost, save for what might be the top of a letter O and a letter P in the second part (12 pages), but in a place where it wouldn't make sense sequentially.

It's currently described as a 12mo, which does make sense given the length.

Another thing to note if it matters -- is that the sewing has four holes: one gathering is sewn through hole (1 and 2) and (3 and 4), but the next is only sewn through (2 and 3). So the pattern is something like this (pretend there is no break with nos. 2 and 4):

|		|		|
	|		|
	|		|
|		|		|

Happy to send photos if it helps. There are no watermarks.

Nina

Nina M. Schneider
Rare Books Librarian
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
2520 Cimarron Street
Los Angeles, CA  90018
(323) 731-8529

nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
http://www.clarklibrary.ucla.edu/

** Please note that the Clark Library is currently CLOSED for our seismic retrofit **