[DCRM-L] Signature statement advice

Jennifer Dunlap jrdunlap7 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 13:43:37 MST 2017

Good afternoon,

I am working on cataloging a copy of Nicolas Clénard's 'Meditationes
Graecanicae in artem grammaticam' printed by Sebastianus Gryphius in 1552
and would like some advice on the signature statement. The format is 8vo,
but the first 8 gatherings are signed on both the recto and verso, with
direction numbers 1-16 for signatures 2a-2g and 1-7 for gathering 2h (2h8
verso unsigned). I have never encountered signing on both the recto and
verso before and didn't see anything in Gaskell or Bowers on how best to
construct a signature statement in this case.  I am hoping that someone
else has encountered this before and can provide some guidance. The
statement I have so far is:

2a-2g⁸ 2h⁴, A-C⁸; gatherings 2a-2g signed on recto and verso with direction
numbers 1-16, gathering 2h with direction numbers 1-7.

I also checked a number of other titles printed by Gryphius in our
collection to see if he often printed books with signatures on the recto
and verso, but was not able to find another example. If anyone else has
seen other titles printed by him where this occurs I would be interested in
knowing! Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Link to GoogleBooks of digitized copy of text in question:
https://books.google.com/books?id=drAD0lIhhYkC

Jennifer Dunlap
Project Cataloger
SCRC Rare Books