[DCRM-L] letter authorship

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Mon Oct 2 06:52:35 MDT 2017

This is an example of how "sender" can be a useful relationship designator. See http://rbms.info/cv-comments/2017/08/07/term-sender/ for the current discussion.

Proposed term and scope note:

Sender
Scope note: Use for the entity from whom correspondence is sent.

Broader Term: correspondent
Related Term: recipient

EB.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-608-1717

From: DCRM-L [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Lapka, Francis
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:25 PM
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] letter authorship

For manuscript catalogers:

When describing a letter composed by one person (frequently a secretary) on behalf of another, what is best practice for choosing the author? Here's a shorter example (1937):

Dear Madam, In reply to your letter Lord Hambleden says he is glad to give a prize and has asked me to send you the enclosed five guineas. He is greatly looking forward to seeing the exhibition. Yours faithfully, [secretary's name]

In this example, would you treat Hambleden as author? If not, as contributor? If treating him as contributor, is there a relationship designator that would be appropriate? I have a handful of such letters - of varying origination - at my desk now, so advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Francis

Francis Lapka  *  Catalog Librarian
Dept. of Rare Books and Manuscripts