[DCRM-L] AMREMM and RDA

Thu Sep 7 08:55:41 MDT 2017

With a 2003 publication, AMREMM* would be ready for revision, even without the need to reconsider its principles and provisions in light of RDA. A couple of points of interest that put it conceptually outside the DCRM suite:

1.      Although published by the BSC through our parent body ACRL, it has a personal author, Gregory Pass. He consulted widely with the BSC and other groups, and generally (if not always) accommodated our suggestions, but at the end of the day, he is the author.

2.     Gregory's remit was to align scholarly conventions used in describing medieval manuscripts with library descriptive conventions based on AACR2. One of the main deviations in practice is that of main entry. 1.1B6, for example, gives main entries in examples of devising titles, and it is clear that the manuscript as a physical object is the source of main entry.

[Books of hours : use of Rouen]
Main entry under: Catholic Church
Uniform title: Book of hours (Ms. National Art Library. MSL/1902/1654)
Added entry under: National Art Library (Great Britain). Manuscript. MSL/1902/1654

It's sensible that manuscripts of all time periods should be considered together. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

*I can't resist bringing up a quip I made at the time, which I thought was funny but not sure anyone else did. Since the title is Descriptive Cataloging of Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, and Early Modern Manuscripts, we missed the chance of acronyming it DECAMREMM.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu |