[DCRM-L] RBMS PS review Q4: Extent of text

Auyong, Dorothy dauyong at huntington.org
Wed Apr 4 11:39:39 MDT 2018

I agree with Richard about retaining “[sic}” as well. And in these days of data transformation/migration and who knows what else, we cannot ALWAYS count on our notes getting correctly paired with our transcription fields on all platforms.

The “REALLY?” question comes up a lot in rare book cataloging. And the fewer layers we have to drill down to find the answer, the better IMHO.

I also prefer “i.e.” to “thus” Weren’t both “[sic]” and “i.e.” copy-editing conventions long before they were adopted by the cataloging community?  They may be far less esoteric than we think they are. Oh wait, no one copy-edits anymore. 😉

Dorothy Auyong
Principal Catalog Librarian/Archivist
Acquisitions, Cataloging & Metadata Services
Henry E. Huntington Library
dauyong at huntington.org<mailto:dauyong at huntington.org>