[DCRM-L] RBMS PS review Q4: Extent of text

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Apr 4 12:41:03 MDT 2018

I'm happy enough with (most lately) Erin's response, and similar responses,
regarding the extent statement--to the extent that it does represent
"extent": an explicit and complete account, in compact and conventionalized
terms, of the physical pieces making up the resource. But this doesn't
preclude more precisely descriptive or discursive notes in the record to
support, explain and otherwise go beyond a bare statement of "extent",
especially accounting for the relation of contents to component parts, or
possible variation among copies that nevertheless doesn't justify treatment
as different manifestations.

My own practice is to provide a collational formula, signing statement, and
pagination statement (including an explicit account of what is and isn't
numbered, or correctly numbered (even within  a continuous series), and
from that extract the information that is appropriate to present as
"extent". The resulting note will look very familiar to alumni of RBS
DesBib. Roughly speaking: Extent enumerates the parts; the note analyzes
and names the parts and their relationships.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>