[DCRM-L] DCRM(MSS)

Liz Adams elizabeth.adams at duke.edu
Fri Aug 3 13:58:57 MDT 2018

Hello!

I'm cataloging a bound manuscript friendship album according to DCRM(MSS). The volume contains entries that when dated are from either 1830 or 1835; otherwise entries are entirely undated. We have a working group for DCRM(MSS) records at my institution, and we couldn't find anything in Chapter 4C about cases like this. In this instance, would the date range (e.g., 1830-1835) suffice?

We also noticed that 4C6 has specific guidelines for when to use "undated," namely when no date can be established. Should we only use "undated" under those specific circumstances? Traditionally, we have used "undated" in conjunction with other dated materials, usually when undated material is mixed with dated material (e.g., 1830-1835 and undated). Is that allowed in DCRM(MSS)?

Thanks for any/all advice!

Liz

Liz Adams
Rare Materials Cataloger
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University
919.613.1010
elizabeth.adams at duke.edu<mailto:elizabeth.adams at duke.edu>
https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/