[DCRM-L] DCRM(MSS)

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 16:14:59 MDT 2018

Unless the undated material isn't also from around the 1830s, you don't
even have to worry about "undated" -- 4C6 only allows "undated" if you
can't even narrow it down to a century.

Personally, I'd go with "between circa 1830 and circa 1835" plus a note
saying something like "Contains dated entries from 1830 and 1835, plus
undated entries."

For what it's worth, where I work we follow DCRM(G) 4D4 for all undated
materials, regardless of format "Supply ... a conjectural date ... based on
any information available, even if it is only an estimate of several
centuries. Indicate the basis for the conjecture in a note."  (We joke that
we can always know for-sure that it has to have been created before today's
date, and after the invention of paper). This is because many of our
researchers want to find "things from the broad period I'm interested in"
so we encourage them to set date parameters in their search. If they want
to look at things things made between 1500 and 1800, a machine-readable
date of uuuu isn't helpful, but a machine-readable date of 16uu17uu is.

Also, DCRM(G) 4D4 is a two-parter: not only do you have to provide a
best-guess, ALL conjectured dates need a note indicating the basis for the
conjecture. It's important for people to know what prompted the guess, in
case they know something that would make for a better guess. Handwriting
style? Style of clothing in accompanying photograph? Type of pen? When
doing recon, we fall back on "Date from Folger card catalog" in the note.

Cheers,

Erin.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  fax +1 202-675-0328