[DCRM-L] Extent for 2 v. in 1

Robert Steele rosteele at law.gwu.edu
Thu Aug 30 05:32:18 MDT 2018

Michelle:

Some questions: Are there 2 separate title pages? I see the pagination is
not continuous. What about the signatures? Are they also discontinuous
between the two volumes?  If your copy has been bound as a single volume,
but you have multiple indications that there are in fact 2 intended
volumes, I think the 300 should describe the *manifestation as intended *
(two volumes), with a note about how your particular copy is bound (1
volume).

In the 300 $$a, I would go with "2 volumes (XXXII, 67 pages; [3], XXXIV,
[1], 4-70 pages)" [note the semicolon between volumes; I suppose it's
debatable whether "pages" should be repeated]. If you know how the plates
were intended to be bound, I would include the number of plates with the
pagination for each volume. Of course, the full pagination could also be in
a note. Another note might read: UCSD copy: Bound subsequent to publication
as a single volume.

If what you have is a nineteenth-century book in a publisher's binding, I
suppose you could argue the the issue in a single volume was intended,
which would change everything.

I'll be interested in what others think.

Bob Steele
GW Law