[DCRM-L] Item-level ephemera: What's the 245$a for this film program?

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Mon Dec 3 11:07:26 MST 2018

Thanks for bringing this up! I've encountered similar situations and agree
that clarity would be helpful.

When I've cataloged advertisements, programs, playbills, prospectuses,
dummies, etc. which present themselves using the same title as the full
thing being advertised, performed, etc., I have sometimes transcribed the
title on the program, etc., and added a devised subtitle, by analogy to RDA
2.3.4.6 for film trailers (RDA example: Annie Hall : [trailer]), which
would result in something like: Max Reinhart's production of 'A midsummer
night's dream' : [program].

Whether devising the whole title or just the subtitle, I think the
important part is to differentiate it from the full
work/expression/manifestation/item while also preserving the relationship
to that WEMI, as I think RDA otherwise lacks good instructions and
relationship designators for relating these sorts of resources to each
other (e.g. Advertisement for (manifestation)). Possibly a refinement of
subject relationships (Appendix M)?

And in a cases like this, creator/contributor relationships are also
different from those of the full resource, and would also benefit from
clarification. I would guess Max Reinhart, or the others involved in the
production of the film, had little or nothing to do with the content or
production of the program, per se. Could Warner Brothers be considered the
creator of this resource?

Matt

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 11:53 AM Erin Blake <erin.blake.folger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We are clarifying our guidelines for item-level cataloging of film
> programs (souvenir programs, usually from the "Golden Age" of cinema), and
> are interested in knowing what other institutions do for the title proper
> when cataloging such things at the item level (translation: we don't have
> unanimous agreement here).  It's our policy to use RDA for machine-press
> era printed texts, so quotes below are from RDA, but DCRM(B) has equivalent
> rules that come out the same.
>

> See attached for the outside and inside of the film program (issued folded
> in half, shown open for convenience in the photo).
>

> We all agree that that this is a textual manifestation consisting of "one
> or more pages, leaves, sheets, or cards" and we all agree that the title of
> a *movie* is present on the front cover (namely, "Max Reinhardt's
> production of 'A midsummer night's dream'")
>

> We're asking ourselves whether the *film program*'s title can be found in
> or on:
>
>    1. a title page, title sheet, or title card
>    2. a cover or jacket issued with the manifestation
>    3. a caption
>    4. a masthead
>    5. a colophon
>
> If so, what is it?
>

> And if not, what would we use as the devised title? Following RDA
> 2.3.2.11  <http://access.rdatoolkit.org/rdachp2_rda2-3631.html>, our
> options would be:
>
>    1. Use the opening words of the text as a title ("Warner Bros. present
>    Max Reinhardt's production of 'A midsummer night's dream'")
>    2. Devise a title that contains an indication of the nature of the
>    resource ("Film program for Max Reinhard's production of 'A midsummer
>    night's dream'")
>

>  Thanks,
>

> Erin.

> Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
> 201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
> office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  www.folger.edu

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger