[DCRM-L] Item-level ephemera: What's the 245$a for this film program?

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 09:53:17 MST 2018

We are clarifying our guidelines for item-level cataloging of film programs
(souvenir programs, usually from the "Golden Age" of cinema), and are
interested in knowing what other institutions do for the title proper when
cataloging such things at the item level (translation: we don't have
unanimous agreement here).  It's our policy to use RDA for machine-press
era printed texts, so quotes below are from RDA, but DCRM(B) has equivalent
rules that come out the same.

See attached for the outside and inside of the film program (issued folded
in half, shown open for convenience in the photo).

We all agree that that this is a textual manifestation consisting of "one
or more pages, leaves, sheets, or cards" and we all agree that the title of
a *movie* is present on the front cover (namely, "Max Reinhardt's
production of 'A midsummer night's dream'")

We're asking ourselves whether the *film program*'s title can be found in
or on:

   1. a title page, title sheet, or title card
   2. a cover or jacket issued with the manifestation
   3. a caption
   4. a masthead
   5. a colophon

If so, what is it?

And if not, what would we use as the devised title? Following RDA 2.3.2.11
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/rdachp2_rda2-3631.html>, our options would be:

   1. Use the opening words of the text as a title ("Warner Bros. present
   Max Reinhardt's production of 'A midsummer night's dream'")
   2. Devise a title that contains an indication of the nature of the
   resource ("Film program for Max Reinhard's production of 'A midsummer
   night's dream'")

 Thanks,

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  www.folger.edu