[DCRM-L] Fwd: [PCCLIST] New policy regarding limited use of ISBD punctuation in bibliographic records

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:01:44 MST 2018

I'd love for all ISBD punctuation to be machine-supplied, and I don't see
any problem with *new *PCC DCRM records following the three options.

The only conern I've got with the proposal is with step 4: we'd want to
make sure adquate testing is done with DCRM records as part of  "Work with
bibliographic utilities and other interested parties to develop tools and
specifications to automate the process of removal or reinsertion of
punctuation." There might well be "terminal periods integral to the data
(e.g., recorded as part of abbreviations, initials, etc.) " that rarely
come up outside Special Collections. Inadequate testing would let PCC say
"the percentage of PCC records affected is statistically insignificant"
rather than "the percentage of PCC DCRM records affected is unacceptably
large."

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  www.folger.edu