[DCRM-L] RBMS Q3: Sources of information

Mascaro, Michelle mmascaro at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 23 14:13:24 MST 2018

I am putting out a second call for responses to this question (see original email below) proposed to the list before Midwinter.  Please respond by the end of next week.

I have heard from a couple people that their responses are not making it to the list.  The problem tends to be that the email they are sending from does not match the email they signed up for the listserv.  In these cases, DCRM-L drops the message and no notice is sent to the sender.  If you think your response may have been lost, please feel free to contact me off list.

To start discussion...I am posting the text of one these lost emails that was recently sent to me.

"The order of sources proposed by RBMS PS 2.2.2.2 seems relevant and effective to me (with the caveat that I don't catalog notated music and have done very few serials). And I'm comfortable with the fact that the proposed order could result in a different title than that identified by using the RDA order of sources. Titles are important in identifying manifestations so it's not insignificant to possibly have two different titles depending on the guideline you use but I think it's warranted here. The source order you suggest is closest to how rare materials identify themselves which allows for more accurate representation of the material and facilitates user tasks.

It seems odd that we would instruct to ignore the early printed resources exception, though. I know a previous proposal by the RSC Rare Materials Working Group to change RDA 2.2.2.2 was not accepted and was withdrawn. Is the plan to issue a new proposal based on this RBMS PS?

Thanks,

Kate"

Kate S. Moriarty, MSW, MLS | Rare Book Catalog Librarian | Associate Professor | Pius XII Memorial Library | Saint Louis University | 3650 Lindell Blvd. | St. Louis, MO 63108 | 314-977-3024 | kate.moriarty at slu.edu<mailto:kate.moriarty at slu.edu> | http://lib.slu.edu/special-collections