[DCRM-L] To merge or unmerge

Moody, Honor M. hmoody at radcliffe.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 8 14:28:37 MST 2018

Hello all,

OCLC #1008184299 describes a National Art Library (Great Britain) copy of Le cuisinier des gourmands, ou, La cuisine modern… Paris : Charles Froment, 1829, in printed paper wrappers with an additional bookseller’s name not found on the title page, Théophile Berquet (address next door to Charles Froment, and they appear to have issued other titles together).  The only other holding library is the Lilly Library, which was previously on OCLC #52934158 (this record was merged with #1008184299). The Lilly copy, however, is also in publisher’s wrappers, but different ones that lack Berquet’s name.

I considered asking OCLC to unmerge the two records, but given that I have a bound copy and no way of knowing if it once came in one or the other wrapper (or some other variant, or if it is in an edition binding), I’m inclined to leave the two on the same record, but to make a note along the lines of: Issued in at least two different paper wrappers, one with additional bookseller’s name: Théophile Berquet [etc., etc.].

Does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other, or suggestions for improving the clarity of the note?

Best,
Honor

Honor Moody
Cataloger